Wandaful Quilts

Visit my blog shop https://wandafulquilts.blogspot.com for items for sale: wall art, mini art, quilt tops, fabric groupings. It is an ever changing group of items.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Found fabric and new project............

Continuing from yesterday......I found all of these long strips that were trimmed from quilt backings.  They range from 4" to 20" wide and from 64" to 105" long.  Lots of times I need to just add a strip 18" wide to a backing so now I have some choices.  There are 3 Kaffe's, 1 Brandon Mably, 1 batik, and the rest assorted quilting fabrics.  I will find a storage box for them and make a label with large letters so I can't lose it.
I worked on the hand stitching on my binding and am 3/4 done with it.  I needed a break from it so I cut strips for a couch size Trip Around the World quilt.  I peeled one set back to make sure I like the order of the fabrics.  I got one strata sewn last night but haven't pressed it yet.  I have 2 ladies coming over to work on their TAW quilts on Saturday.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Binding choice.......

I searched through my Kaffe Fassett fabrics for about an hour and auditioned them for binding.  In the end I used leftover backing fabric.  It has just enough black in the print to finish the edge nicely.  This one is a special quilt so it is getting a hand finished binding.  I am about 1/3 done with it.
I know you can't read the little label because it is written in pencil but it has the size of this piece written on it.  I have a lot of backing leftovers in long strips and I haven't kept them all in one place.  When I decide I want to use several of the strips together I can never find them.  I decided now to cut the leftover to an even width and square off the 2 ends and label them.  They will all go into the same box.  All I will have to remember is which shelf I put the box on.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Keeping at it...........

Finally at 6 p.m. last night I loaded this quilt and started quilting it.



It is my favorite randomly spaced straight lines again.  I don't feel a need to quilt every quilt with a different pattern.  I rely on my favorites over and overI think the straight lines are a good choice on a geometric pieced quilt design.


This shot shows the texture.










This is my favorite block.










After I trimmed that quilt I pieced batting for the yellow quilt.  I use a 3 step zig zag to sew the 2 pieces together.  I had to be sure I had 2 straight edges first and then butted them together and stitched over the seam.  A plain zig zag will create a ridge where the 3 step zig zag lays nice and flat.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Top sewn...and next in line..........

I sewed this top together while I watched Scorpion last night.  It is 48" x 60".  I think it needs a yellow back and a yellow binding.  Part of the back will be the fabric with the white background and squares of yellow in the print.  The yellow with white dot will probably be a strip to make it wide enough.  If you go back to this post you can see the one in the book that inspired me.
Yesterday morning I found the backing for this quilt and chose the thread to quilt it.  The piece to the left is all that is left of the backing yardage but there will be a long piece to cut off the side of the backing after quilting.  You can go here to see the full shot of this top.  Did you notice the date on that post?  This one has been waiting a long time to get quilted.

Monday, February 20, 2017

No matched blocks......

In the end I just couldn't do the matchy-matchy blocks (see yesterday's post).  I played with the quarter blocks on the design wall and decided to group the blocks by value changes in the yellow backgrounds.  The colors are truer on yesterday's photos too.  This is all ready to sew together today.

We have broken the high temp records for 3 days in a row with the 60+ degree days.  Now they are predicting 70 for Wednesday.  I'm hoping the flowering trees and bushes don't get their buds all formed because we will get cold weather again starting next weekend.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

A quick project...........

This is a new book from C&T Publishing with some fast projects.  I rarely buy precuts but I have a couple boxes full of 2.5" strips that I cut with a rotary cutter and I have dies for my die cutter for 5" squares and 10" squares.





This is my favorite quilt in the book.  I have a lot of strips from older fabrics, mostly from the 1990s that I need to use because they are getting ravelly in the box.  









I am using all yellow prints for the light fabric.  This is one layout with the fabrics matched within the 4 quarters of the block.






I had to try them mixed too.  I think maybe matched will win on this one.








I wasn't paying attention and got the center strip sewn in wrong on 2 of the 4 quarter blocks in this combination.  I unsewed them and fixed them last night.  This will just be a small quilt, 20 twelve inch blocks.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Finish #2 for February.........

I put the last hand stitching in the binding at 10 p.m. yesterday.  I like this one a lot and think it is one of the best batik colorwash wallhangings that I have ever made.  It is 35" square.  



The photos below show the binding on 2 edges.  I think that print worked very well.